Sign up for news and special offers from Dining Out
Eat This

A Savory Fusion of Chinese and Local Flavors

By Jaimie Kim Photos By Nathalie Walker
April 21, 2013

See more articles from

When it comes to food, it’s always easy to get too comfortable with ordering the same dishes from the same restaurants. Luckily, Lung Fung Chinese Restaurant currently has three specials that will re-awaken your taste buds.

“I’m always thinking of ways to make things new … to make sure customers aren’t feeling bored,” says manager Eddie Ma.

The restaurant has been open for more than 10 years (which Ma credits to the loyalty of its customers’ support) and continues to serve 90 percent authentic Cantonese food. The other 10 percent, Ma says, is a fusion with local food and other familiar flavors.

General Tso’s Chicken ($9.95) has been a special the restaurant has offered for about six months, after popular demand by many customers. Cut chicken is deep-fried with flour and glazed with a sweet-and-sour sauce with spicy chili to give it an extra kick.

To accompany the chicken, or any other dish you may choose, String Bean with Chinese Sausage ($11.95) is a dish Ma describes as simple, and something you could easily eat on a day-to-day basis. String beans are sauteed with garlic and Chinese sausage (lup cheong) is added. Its subtle flavors contrast nicely with the spiciness of General Tso’s Chicken.

Another dish for veggie lovers is Chinese Choi Sum with Black Mushroom ($11.95). After choi sum is sauteed with oyster sauce, black mushrooms with gravy are added to the dish.

Perfect for families and diners in groups, the restaurant also offers its dishes takeout style. If you’re planning a party, or have to attend a potluck, the restaurant also offers party menus with special prices.

And if you’re feeling in need of some Pau Hana, Lung Fung boasts a full service bar.

Lung Fung Chinese Restaurant

Niu Valley Shopping Center
5724 Kalanianaole Hwy.
377-5555
11 a.m.-9 p.m. daily