Barbecue Shrimp Lilikoi Orange Dipping SauceRecipes
February 6, 2011
Story By: Dining Out Team |
Serves Four (courtesy of Chef Fabrice of Four Seasons Resort Lanai)
Ingredients for the Barbecue:
- 12 large shrimp, shelled or deveined
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa butter
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- Toast the spices over medium-high heat in a pan to bring out the flavor. Place in a spice grinder and pulse to obtain a coarse powder. Then, mix all the spices together.
- For the shrimp, place 2 tablespoons of the spices (except the cocoa butter) in a Ziploc bag with the shrimp. Mix well and keep refrigerated for 1 hour.
- Remove from the fridge and leave at room temperature for 10 minutes. Grill each side over barbecue for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from grill, allow to cool for a minute or until you can hold and remove the shell. Serve with the orange lilikoi dipping sauce.
Ingredients for the Lilikoi orange dipping sauce:
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 cups lilikoi juice
- 1/2 cup shallots, chopped fine
- 1 lemon grass stem, smashed
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 cup light salt shoyu
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1 small bunch Thai basil
- 1 small bunch mint
Preparation for the Lilikoi orange dipping sauce:
- In a stainless steel pot, add the orange and lilikoi juice, shallots, lemon grass, chili flakes, shoyu and mirin.
- Cook over medium heat to simmer. Do not let sauce boil hard. Cook for about 10 minutes or until sauce has been reduced to 1/3 of the pot.
- Bruise the mint and basil in the palm of your hand and add to the sauce.
- Allow to cool at room temperature. Strain and reserve for shrimp.