Coconut Milk Poached Kona Lobster with Carrot Puree
- 2 16- to 20- ounce Kona Lobsters
- 2/3 quart chicken stock
- 2/3 quart coconut milk (can)
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 4 stalks lemongrass, cut 1 inch long
- 2 cups carrot, peeled and cut 1 inch long
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 shallot cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 onion cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- paprika, for garnish
- Clean and remove the tail and claws from the body and split the tail in half with the shell on. Poach the claws in boiling water for a couple of minutes; this will make it easier to remove the meat from the claw. Set the tails and claws aside.
- Cut the head to small pieces for use in the sauce, set aside.
- in a stock pot combine coconut milk and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add carrots and cook for 7-10 minutes or until the carrots are cooked; remove from the stock and puree with butter, season with salt and pepper, to taste, until it’s smooth. Set aside.
- Add lobster head, lemongrass, garlic, shallot, onion and bay leaves to the stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes to make sure the vegetables and lobster release their flavor to the stock.
- At this point the stock should be a little thicker. Season with sugar, salt and pepper and poach the tail and claw on medium-low heat for 2 minutes or until the meat is cooked. Remove the meat from the shell and remove the liquid from the stock to use as a sauce.
- In a bowl, scoop a tablespoon full of carrot puree and place in the center of the bowl, top with lobster meat and pour sauce around it.
- Garnish with carrot and sprinkle with a little of paprika for color.