Fresh Ahi Katsu with Thai Yellow Curry Sauce & Fresh Mango Tomato SalsaRecipes
March 13, 2011
Story By: Dining Out Team |
- 8 ounces fresh ahi (fresh pink tuna) cut into an inch-long tube
- 2 sheets nori (roasted seaweed)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (panko)
- 1 tablespoon furikake (if available)
- 1 tablespoon chopped macadamia nuts
- 2 cups vegetable oil, to fry fish
- Wrap fresh ahi tube with nori, put aside.
- To prepare tempura batter, in a bowl, add flour, cornstarch and egg with 1/4 cup of cold water. Mix well until the batter has no lumps. Make sure batter is on the thick side.
- In a sheet pan, mix bread crumbs with chopped macadamia nuts and furikake. Set aside.
- Dip fish already wrapped with nori in the tempura batter, then quickly coat evenly with bread crumbs. Put aside.
- In a wok or deep-fryer, preheat oil to about 375 F. Deep-fry fish until color turns light brown (should-n’t be more than 2 minutes).
- Slice fish 1/4-inch thick. Fish should still be raw inside (red-pink color). Serve with fresh mango tomato salsa and Thai yellow curry sauce.
Ingredients for salsa:
- 1 tablespoon ripe mango, about 1/4-inch size, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato, about 1/4-inch size, diced
- 1/4 tablespoon chopped onions
- 1/4 tablespoon chopped Chinese parsley
- 1/4 tablespoon lemon juice
- dash sugar, salt and Tabasco sauce, to taste
To prepare salsa, mix all ingredients, then set aside for about 10 minutes so all flavors can combine.
Ingredients for curry sauce:
- 1/4 teaspoon Thai yellow curry paste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- dash sugar, to taste
- In a hot pot, add coconut milk and Thai yellow curry paste. Bring to boil then simmer for about 10 minutes or until sauce is thicker. Add sugar and fish sauce.
- Serve as dipping sauce for Ahi Katsu dish.